Joann Bishop is the mother of Dodie and Hoodsey Bishop and a minor character in the series. She is known for being quite intense. She has a love-hate relationship with the Foutley family, particularly Carl and Lois, she often gets into arguments with them, most of them involving Carl. She believes that Carl is a bad influence on her son Robert Joseph (Hoodsey).
She's part of a book club as seen in Sleep On It. In About Face, it's revealed that when she was in junior high school, she wanted to be like a girl named Josie McDonald who was the popular girl in her school. She made an effort to be popular herself only to be named "missed popularity". Dodie developed most of this behavior from her mother until she stood up to the popular girls in the same episode.
She is incredibly overbearing, and she can come across as being mean. In the end, she just wants the best for her children.
She wears a green dress with a yellow design on it. She also wears a necklace and a yellow headband. Her shoes are brown and she wears blue leggings. When she wears a purple sweater, she also wears a matching purple headband.
David Charles Bishop: They love each other very much. The couple usually sees eye to eye on most things. In Gym Class Confidential, it was revealed that she's been married to David for 22 years.
Dodie Bishop: Dodie is a lot like her. She mainly sides with her mother. In About Face, she had a engaging conversation with Joann about her "Josie" persona.
Hoodsey Bishop: Joann only calls her son by his real name Robert Joseph. She would rather prefer him to hang out with someone other than Carl.
Lois Foutley: Joann seems to at times come across to Lois that her family is the right environment. She sometimes talks under her breath about something she disagrees with her about. In The Easter Ham, she exaggerated being hurt as she was fighting over the last ham with Lois. It was mainly an excuse for the Bishops to not see the Foutleys. Other times however, they act fair to each other.
Carl Foutley: She doesn't along well with him. Her resentment toward him is one-sided because Carl is never seen showing to have anything against Joann. He calls her Jojo and Joann doesn't like to be called that. She thinks Carl is a bad influence on her son. However, in Stuff'll Kill Ya, Carl turned a new leaf after he was afraid of what was coming after getting into trouble. He went to Joann and acted very polite and respectful to her. She was intially surprised but said it's not too late to start over.
- She is one of the few people not to call Hoodsey by his nickname, instead she calls him Robert Joseph or RJ, the other person who does this is Mrs. Gordon.
- She also does the same to Dodie. She calls Dodie Deirdre Hortense, and is the only person to refer to Dodie by this name.
- She possibly has OCD as seen in the episode "Lunatic Lake".
- She dislikes Carl and being called Jojo.
- One time, we see Joann going through a mid life crisis, like some of the mothers of today, who would act like teenagers.
- As revealed in "About Face", Joann graduated from Lucky Jr. High in 1980.
- In the series finale The Wedding Frame Joann wears the same dress, hat, gloves and high heels to Lois and Dr. Dave’s wedding the first time she wore that outfit was in the episode Losing Nana Bishop at Nana Bishop’s funeral.