Losing Nana Bishop is the seventh episode (27th overall) of the second season which was broadcast on March 31, 2002.
The Meaning of Life Lesson
"Hoodsey's eulogy made me think a lot about my family.
About how sometimes your family can make you mad or feel bad and make it hard to see the good things about them.
But then one day they're gone and all you have left are the memories and you see all those good things in a new light and you wished that you had pointed them out a little more off along the way."
- Ginger Foutley
Dodie and Hoodsey's paternal grandmother passes away, and Hoodsey gets roped into giving a eulogy at the funeral service by their mom--however, Hoodsey's the only one that doesn't really miss Nana Bishop, largely because he wasn't nearly as close to her as the rest of his family was, especially Dodie.
Dodie and Hoodsey's situation gets Ginger thinking about her own paternal grandmother, Grandma Foutley (Jonas's mom). Ginger recalls how Grandma Foutley died not that long after her brother, Carl, was born, and at first, she tries asking her mom about her, but Lois confesses that she and Jonas's mom "didn't exactly see eye-to-eye on everything," but were apparently willing to put up with each other because of how much they loved the kids. After that, Ginger calls her dad to ask him about Grandma Foutley. Jonas explains to his daughter how she and Grandma Foutley had a very close bond, especially since Ginger was Grandma Foutley's first grandchild, and explains how much she loved her and Carl.
Meanwhile, Carl and Hoodsey accidentally lock themselves in ankle shackles and an iron mask, respectively, when they lose the key. In the end, Lois is shown trying to get them out of it using a blowtorch.
- Ginger Foutley
- Carl Foutley
- Macie Lightfoot
- Hoodsey Bishop
- Dodie Bishop
- Nana Bishop (photograph only)
- Grandma Foutley (archive footage)
- Lois Foutley
- Dave Bishop
- Joann Bishop
- Jonas Foutley
- Ben (Jonas' dog)
Ginger: But mom, aren't glue traps kind of cruel? Lois: That's why it's plan b.
Ginger: (speaking in her mind) Dodie told us lots of stories about Nana Bishop. It must've cheered her up a lot. She laughed a couple of times. But Dodie's nana stories had a weird effect on me. I suddenly felt really sad about my own grandmother. Grandma Foutley was the only grandparent still alive when I was little. She passed away right after Carl was born. But I don't remember her. Come to think of it, I don't remember anything before Carl was born.
Carl: You don't have to like your family. You just have to respect them. And what more respect can you show than to speak truthfully and from the heart. Hoodsey: Talk about greeting cards.
Ginger: Whose ever heard of a floating funeral home? Macie: I think Cleopatra might have started that trend.
- Ginger mentions to Jonas that she's the "jailbird" of the family. A callback to the episode "Ginger the Juvey".
- In the episode "Never Can Say Goodbye" there is a scene where you can see a squirrel climbing on the top of the rooftop of Foutley's house and into a hole of that same roof that leads to the attic which explains why there are squirrels in the attic in this episode.
- Courtney, Miranda and Darren are absent in this episode.
- The years on the box that Lois finds in the attic with Jonas Foutley's name on it reads "1979-81".
- Dodie reveals that her grandmother was the one who gave her the idea to wear pigtails.