The Right Stuff is the ninth episode of the first season which was broadcast on January 21, 2001.
Macie and Courtney have been doing so well in their French class at Lucky Jr. High that they've been given the chance to take a high school-level French class at Lucky High School. Macie is very nervous about being around a bunch of high school students, but Courtney's excited—although she ends up making two enemies in the form of two high school students named Chantal and Andrea after Courtney stands up to them (she then claims to Macie, Ginger and Dodie than standing your ground is a key to surviving high school).
In class, Courtney develops a crush on Darren's older brother, Will, and Macie's revealed to have a pool in the backyard of her house—after the pool-revelation is made known, Macie gets roped into hosting a pool party for the entire French class (as well as inviting Ginger, Dodie and Darren). While hyperventilating into a paper bag in one of the stall's of the girls' bathroom, Andrea and Chantal come into the bathroom and start complaining about Courtney. They get the idea to "de-bikini" Courtney at the party to embarrass her in front of everyone, including Will. Macie eavesdrops on them while she tries to be quiet and she slips on the toilet and the girls tell her that if Macie tells Courtney or anyone else about their plan at the pool party that they’ll make her high school experience a living nightmare.
While helping Macie to plan the party, she informs Ginger and Dodie of Andrea and Chantal's plan to humiliate Courtney—Ginger convinces Macie and Dodie that they should help Courtney, noting that while she may not exactly be "friends" with Courtney, they have learn to stand up for themselves against people like Andrea and Chantal, because if they don't, it could get worse once they actually reach high school. The girls then go over various plans to help Courtney:
- Macie considers simply cancelling the party altogether, but Ginger and Dodie point out that not's a good idea and could just make things worse, since Andrea and Chantal will know something's up if Macie ends up cancelling the party.
- Ginger calls Courtney and tries convincing her to wear a one-piece swimsuit to Macie's party, especially once it becomes apparent that Courtney plan on wearing a bikini to the party (even going so far as to stuff bubble wrap in the top-half to make her chest look bigger), but is ultimately unable to do so.
- Their ultimate plan is to simply run interference between Courtney and the two high school girls to make sure they don't actually "de-bikini" Courtney, and they also get Darren to help them as well.
At Macie's pool party, things are actually going pretty well until there's a game of chicken going on in the pool—during said game, Andrea distracts Courtney while Chantal sneakily swims up behind her to undo her bikini top (which, unfortunately, she succeeds in). But fortunately for Courtney, Macie's able to get her inner tube on her before anyone can see her topless and Ginger and Dodie manage to get Courtney's bikini top before anyone (except for Dodie) can see that she stuffed it with bubble wrap to make her chest look bigger.
The party comes to a close after that, and now everybody hates Andrea and Chantal for two reasons:
- 1.) Ruining what was actually a pretty good party.
- 2.) For playing such a mean prank on a middle school student.
Courtney, though feeling embarrassed about what happened, is ultimately grateful to Macie, Ginger and Dodie for saving her and acknowledges them as her real friends.
Meanwhile, Carl and Hoodsey try to get some Albert Einstein DNA for a school science fair project (mostly to try and avoid going to summer school). When getting the actual DNA doesn't work out, they come up with the idea to compare DNA samples from other people and to Einstein's DNA, under the hypothesis that if the DNA is similar to Einstein's, that makes them a genius.
- Terrence (cameo)
- Riker Smith
- Kid #1
- Kid #2
Macie: Yeah, with rascally teenagers who have a lot more than conjugation on their minds.
Hoodsey: Oh, I'm right behind you. One screaming lady a day is enough. Besides my mom, I mean.
Carl: Very well, carry on. Thank you for your cooperation. Hoodsey: But Carl, they didn't cooperate.
Andrea: Either that snack cake I just ate was bad, or she's making me sick. Chantal: Snack cakes never go bad.
Courtney: (to Andrea and Chantal) Who retired and made you crossing guards?
Courtney: I don't suppose they make waterproof tissue?
Courtney: Standing your ground is everything when it comes to high school, Ginger.
Macie: Shame on you, Riker Smith. Your mother teaches Sunday school!
- Although it's never stated what time of the year this episode takes place, it likely takes place near the end of the school year, due to Carl and Hoodsey talking about summer school.
- Darren reveals that his older brother's real name is Wilbert.
- The bikini that Courtney wore to Macie's pool party was from a fashion show that she saw in Paris, France (presumably from the annual trip that she and her mom take to see the annual spring fashion show every year in France).
- Also, before deciding to stuff her bikini top with bubble wrap, Courtney was originally going to use tissues, but when Miranda pointed out what might happen once she got into the pool, Courtney decided against it (although she did briefly consider finding waterproof tissues to stuff into her bikini top).
- The title of this episode shares the same name as the 1979 novel by Tom Wolfe along with the 1983 film adaptation.
- Will calls Chantal and Andrea “Losers” for “de-bikining“ Courtney and never speaks to them again.
- When Carl tells Blake he thought he bought his idea, Mrs. Gordon asks "Bought"? In this frame, the science fair sign has the word lucky spelled with an "e". In the next few frames, the letter "e" in the word lucky is gone.